Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Odds and ends

Went to see X-Men 3 finally. What a pile of pants - a total waste of time and money. Interesting premise - if you could be 'cured' to conform to the social norm, would/should you? - terrible execution. Most of the characters (I'm using that word in the loosest possible way) were reduced to sarky one-liners or brooding stares or the kind of lines typically used in American dramas before a 'heroic' moment, against all odds, when the music usually shifts up a tone. And the direction was so simplistic - wide shot, close up, panning... Just crowd pleasing nonsense. I'm going to have to go and watch Harry Potter Number Three, which is just the polar opposite.

And ... rant over. I was in such a bad mood after seeing it. Even book shopping couldn't cheer me up.

In real life, I attended a conference yesterday on copyright and digital information. It was a real eye opener for me, especially as digitisation is causing such a shift in attitude towards information and what you can do with it. It's a bit 1984.

We had a Confirmation rehearsal last night. Can I just say how much I love these kids? They are up for anything and everything we've thrown at them. But start talking at them, expecting them not to engage and they just switch off. To my mind they are so blatent about it, but I don't think most grown ups clock it. It's not apathy, it's energy saving.

The Doctor Who part 2 on Saturday was interesting. I liked the idea of the Beast (the devil character) being physically trapped, but mentally able to possess people (and aliens) and corrput them. I was a bit disappointed at the conclusion as it just seemed too easy. The guy possessed got sucked out into the vacuum and into a black hole. As the episode ended, I was just like 'And...'.

I haven't commented on last week's study group yet - I was so not in the right frame of mind. Since I got all emotional a couple of weeks ago (is it that long ago?), the least thing and I'm all sad, depressed and weepy. Anyway, I liked it overall. But one comment at the end just ruined it for me. And it was that the Cross is a taunt, that our guy won. I can't even begin to vocalise the problems I have with this - the thought just seems so at odds with my concept of Jesus and being a Catholic, let alone what God has been clobbering me with over the past ten days or so.

Finally, just to remind you, (as if you'd forget) The Convent is on BBC 2, Wednesdays at 9pm from tomorrow!

No comments: